Monday, March 24, 2014

Oh Crap!

We had the nicest weekend.  There wasn't anything particularly special about it. . .just the simple pleasures of ordinary family life with two awesome little people.  We did a pile of errands:  grocery shopping at the massive open air market that I love to go to; searching out fabric stores to try to track down the perfect fabric for Anna and Elsa costumes for the girls (Disney is sold out, and the kids desperately want them for our upcoming vacation, so we are making them); finally buying the gym shorts that go with Miss M's school uniform (because I am a bad parent, we've been sending her to school in--GASP!--her school uniform on gym days, which consists of. . .gym pants, a tshirt, and a windbreaker.  The horror of not having gym shorts!); playing in the park; long walks; painting; etc, etc.  We had a birthday party yesterday, where SB ran around an played for a bit, then cuddled with me for the rest of the party.   She spent a lot of time cuddling with me this weekend, which was so lovely, from my perspective.  I can't remember the last time she cuddled so much.

I should have known then that something was wrong.  She is active and outgoing, so cuddling all weekend, including at a birthday party that featured a bouncy house definitely seemed out of character, but I just chalked it up to the lack of long naps.  It didn't occur to me that she might be sick.  Sigh.  And then this morning, she woke up with a rash under her bottom lip...which we just chalked up to  some combination of teething/drooling/strawberry eating/binky sucking the night before.

We had a bunch of friends for dinner tonight with their kids.  We warned them all beforehand that she had this weird unidentified rash, but some of them apparently didn't get the message, and most came despite receiving it.  And of course, the first to arrive were a pair of teachers, who looked at poor SB and both immediately said "impetigo!"  And then the second family arrived, and said their youngest had it last week.

So apparently, impetigo is going around, and I had no idea what it was until this evening.  And apparently it's highly contagious.  And SB has been around several dozen children this weekend.  Which either means that one of them gave it to her, or she caught it from one.  I will feel terrible if she gave it to any of them.  It has an incubation period of one to ten days, depending on which type it is, so there's a pretty big window.  Oh, and she poked me in the eye tonight.  I am hoping I don't catch it, too.  Argh.  My poor baby.  We kept her confined to her high chair while all her friends were playing, then put her to bed early.  She was a good sport about it, but I know she really wanted to play with the other kids.  Hopefully we'll get a quick diagnosis in the morning when we see the doctor, an easy time with the medication, and a quick recovery.

No comments: