Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Then It Happened

You may recall that a few posts ago, I lamented the fact that the wait to hear about The Job was slowly making me mad (not the least because it had appeared for a bit like it was definitely not going to happen, then appeared that it would, then appeared that it wouldn't), and I wondered if there was a patron saint of job seekers. I did a little research, and discovered that there is indeed a patron saint of job seekers--Saint Cajetan. I located a picture of him on the internet, printed it out, folded it up, and put him upside down in my pocket. I've been carrying him around with me for days.

This morning T. spent some time with Miss M., as he usually does in the morning, and I caught a little more sleep. She is absolutely lovely in the morning. She talks and laughs and is just so much fun (as opposed to when he gets home from work, when she is cranky and fussy every night as she fights sleep). He brought her back up to me just before he had to leave for work, as is our habit now. We chatted for a bit, and he reluctantly left as I began to nurse her.

A few minutes later, I heard T. pull back into the driveway and come back into the house. He came upstairs and into the bedroom with a slightly perplexed look on his face. One look at his hand told me why: He carried a slightly damp envelope. I didn't get the mail yesterday, and he'd checked the mailbox when he left. His immediate return to the house could mean only one thing, and sure enough, the envelope clearly bore the return address of an employer that I've anxiously been waiting to hear from. It was a letter about The Job.

I could see that T. was tense as he waited for me to open the envelope, but I already knew. I have heard that rejection letters come from this employer via FedEx. . .offer letters come via snail mail. This letter wasn't in a FedEx envelope. As I held my gorgeous baby this morning in one arm, I read aloud the first line of the letter to my husband, which said in part "I am pleased to inform you. . ."

I am in. I don't have a start date yet, and I suppose budget cuts, etc. could still derail things, but based on what I know right now about the employer, I don't expect that. I expect that I will probably start sometime in June. Egads, there is a lot to do before then! I have wanted to do this for at least seven years, and my day is finally here. This is huge. I can hardly believe it.

I am shocked, thrilled, scared to death.

9 comments:

ryanandjoesmom said...

OH!!!! That is so wonderful!! How exciting! Congratulations!!

SassyMama said...

Congratulations!!!
What fabulous news:)

Lollipop Goldstein said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Ooooh, just had to scream that for you.

VA Blondie said...

That is great news! Congratulations!

Jessica White said...

Congratulations! How exciting! And to think that piece of mail was lying in a ditch!

Heather said...

Congrats! That"s amazing!

Jamie said...

Oh, Queenie!! I am so very happy for you!! What a dream.

I have to admit, when I got to the part about T coming in with the letter, I had to skip to the bottom of your post. I couldn't wait and read the whole thing!

niobe said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Rebeccah said...

OMG, that's awesome!!! Yay!!!!