Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Grab Bag

Yesterday, we were planning on attending a friend's birthday party. It was a cookout by the lake, with lots of kids, dogs, and family in attendance. Another friend was supposed to meet us there with her kids, but she wasn't feeling well, so we took her kids with us so she could get a little sleep. I've often noticed (but never had to directly deal with the fact) that her kids don't listen. She's recently divorced, so I've chalked it up to the fact that perhaps she's a little over-indulgent with them, not wanting to be the "mean parent." But somehow, I thought they would listen to us, adults who are not their parents. How wrong I was. "Don't throw sand." Clunk--a handful hits his brother squarely in the back. "Time to get out of the lake." Splash, splash--they are further from shore than before. You get the idea. Are all kids like this? Because I may want to rethink this whole thing.

Earlier in the afternoon, I went to pick up sandwiches from a fabulous bakery that's near our house. As I was going in the door, a woman was coming out with a brand new baby and a tiny toddler in tow. I looked down at the baby and had this oh-my-god moment: in a few short months, we're going to have one of THOSE. In OUR house. It feels like we have been wanting and waiting and trying and not trying and trying and failing and finally succeeding and then waiting some more. . .forever. It is amazing to think there is such a short time left before the baby is actually HERE.

And finally, I am hopelessly lost when it comes to baby equipment. People keep offering us stuff, and I have no idea what any of it is, or whether I need or want it. Suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

stillhopeful said...

i thought the book Baby Bargains was EXTREMELY helpful. I read it cover to cover, and then when DH and i went to register, we bought it woth us an actually felt like we knew what we were doing.

Jamie said...

Lately I seem to only notice poorly behaved children. I wish the quiet kids who minded their parents were more visible.

I wish I had advice on the equipment issue. So far I have gotten the exact opposite information on what is 'needed' from friends and books.

*SIGH* Who knew something so little would require so much stuff.