Friday, June 8, 2012

And The Hits Just Keep Coming


Thursday morning, I woke up at 4am with a slight burning/throbbing sensation in my nether regions.  I thought hmmmm, that doesn't feel right, and rolled over and went back to sleep.  When I got up a few hours later, it was still there, so I popped a Tylenol, got dressed and then headed for my train.  I was supposed to spend the day working in a different city.  On my way to the train, though, I developed severe pain in my back, and realized I'd better head for my doctor's office.  As I walked the few blocks I needed to in order to get there, I was sweating from the pain, and worried that I might collapse.  Needless to say, it was bizarre.

When I got there, they took a urine sample.  Even I could see the flaky things in the urine in the cup.  Uh-oh.  The test came back positive for tons of blood.  Double uh-oh.  Off to the urologist I went.  $2700, a CT scan, some bloodwork, and another urine test later, I got the diagnosis:  I have two kidney stones.  The tiny one, at 3mm, was about to pass (hence the pain).  The big one, at 17mm, is unfortunately not going anywhere without some help.  The urologist has referred me to a surgeon.

Seriously, what is up with the old people diseases?  How is it possible that I have gotten shingles AND kidney stones in a two week period?!  I joked with the doctor that I'm going to break my hip next.

I'm supposed to talk to the surgeon tomorrow.  Surgery?  I'm really not looking forward to this.

3 comments:

Jessica White said...

OH NO! Hopefully surgery clears it all up, and this is the LAST you have to deal with any of this!

Io said...

Oh yikes.. That sounds horrible. Seriously, don't go breaking your hip! Good luck, I hope getting the big one out isnt too bad.

Heather said...

Ouch! I hear they are very painful. Hope you feel better soon