Monday, November 4, 2013

The Word List

I read that a child who is SB's age (almost 20 months) should have between 10 and 50 words.  So naturally, that made me wonder how many words SB actually has, because it seems like we've had a language explosion and she is talking a LOT:

Spanish:
Gracias
Hola
Agua
Libro

English:
Ball
Shoe
Yogurt
Water
Mama
Daddy
Sister
Book
Milk
Binky
Pooh
I can't do it.
Where is _____
Up
Hi
Mickey Mouse
Thank you
Please
Doll
Help
More
Grapes
Pasta
Pizza
Sip
Apple juice
Poop
Come
Hot
Coffee
Cheers
Cup
No
Yes
Why? (clearly, she has an older sister)
Shirt
Catch
Baby
Cow
Horse
Hair
Hand
What happened (used in perfect context, like when the National Zoo panda cam disappeared while we were watching it)
Hug
Foot
Belly
Medicine (she's teething,and appears to appreciate pain relief!)
Tissue
Wipe
It's S!  (With her full name, in response to being asked on the phone who is talking)
Eat
Toast
Teeth
Finger
Nose
Remote
Pillow
Toes
Kitty
Arm
Light

Okay, it's taking too long to list all of her words.  I have been saying "what is this?" to get her to say things, and even I am surprised at how many things she knows.  I would guess she has at least double what I've come up with on this list.  And, it's funny how many of her words have to do with food.  She's definitely learning he important stuff first!




No comments: