We decided to come home for treatment. I consulted with two world-class doctors in Boston yesterday. They agreed on diagnosis and treatment: surgery. Neither thinks it is cancer. Both think the prognosis depends on whether the tumor is intact, or whether it has leaked. One was more self-assured, the other more cautious. Both are considered top doctors. But, one is going on vacation next week, which kind of tipped the scales.
The one who is here is the one I was more comfortable with, anyway. He was more careful, less cocky...it's so hard to choose, really, but I was comfortable with him. The condition is really rare--a few thousand cases a year in the U.S., and he sees maybe 10 cases a year. The other doctor sees 3-6 cases a year, so he's a bit more experienced. His hospital sees maybe 70 cases a year like mine.
So anyway, long story short, I'm having surgery on Tuesday. The pathology will take a week. We'll be here for a minimum of two weeks. We won't really know much about prognosis or further treatment until after the surgery. I am sad, and scared, but trying to stay positive and hope for the best. I just want to be here for my girls, today, and Christmas Day, and always.