Saturday, October 5, 2013

Kitchen Therapy


The girls are napping, the sun is shining, Van Morrison is playing, and two loaves of my high altitude attempt at tropical fruit bread are finishing up in my oven.  It is so incredibly peaceful here.

Tropical Fruit Bread

2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
2 c. natural sugar, minus 2 T. (can substitute white sugar)
2 ½ cups mashed bananas
1 cup mango, diced small
¾ cup unsweetened coconut
1 t. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
5 eggs

Grease and flour two loaf pans.  Mix together ingredients.  Bake in 350F oven for about an hour.  (For non-high altitude, omit all purpose flour and one egg; add two T. sugar; cook in 325F oven).

Postscript:  I just took it out of the oven.  I used local variety of bananas that is tiny (a few inches long) and supersweet.  It's really, really delicious.  Recipe is my own.  I might add a bit more mango next time, and chop the pieces a bit bigger.  I love the way it melds with the banana.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Reminds me of Australian Hummingbird Cake - a tropical fruit cake with bananas and pineapple baked inside and mango and pineapple incorporated in the cream cheese frosting. I've used the recipe from Emily Luchetti's Four-Star Desserts (could only find this adaptation online. Yum.

And you should try these coconut muffins, which are definitely good with chopped dates and probably would be good with chopped bananas or mango:

Vanilla Coconut Muffins
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (could use some whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (I use mixture of brown/white)
2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
2 large eggs
1 cup milk (regular or coconut)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp. (2.5 oz) butter, melted

Butter muffin tins or use muffin papers. Mix together ingredients. Bake 350F oven ~15 min for mini muffins (my preference), 22-25 min for large ones.