Wednesday, July 22, 2009

An Open Letter to The Manufacturers of Maternity Clothes

Dear Maternity Clothes Designers:

I do not know what you are thinking. I do not like rayon or polyester. I do not like loud prints. I do not want my entire maternity wardrobe to consist of bright, happy colors simply because I am bright and happy these days. I do not want to wear tank tops that are skanky and flimsy at the top, yet at the bottom resemble a large circus tent. I do not want to wear stretch pants. In fact, I do not at all want to be reminded of my wardrobe from the 1980's. It was indeed bad enough the first time.

I would, however, like something that remotely resembles stylish. I have found approximately three black dresses that are simply fabulous, and I may resort to wearing them to work every day of the week. Perhaps it can be my maternity "uniform," as thought I am a pregnant Steve Jobs. But really, would it be so much trouble for you to make a stretchy, knee-length black skirt, perhaps cut on the bias? A stylish, monochromatic wardrobe of pencil skirts and decent pants and sweater sets, with the occasional pleasant color or vibrant-yet-sophisticated pattern mixed in? A jacket or two that could be worn to a business meeting, in a fabric other than the dreaded polyester? Something classic, something that works in a conservative office where people still actually wear suits to work? In short, business attire that doesn't make me feel--and look!--like a frumpy housewife from middleAmerica who doesn't belong behind my desk?

I would really appreciate it if you would heed my call, because I'm quickly outgrowing my own clothes, and I can't find anything of yours that I would actually wear. I will soon be left with nothing but the aforementioned black dresses. Sigh. At least they will accessorize well.

Sincerely,
Q

**If anyone has any suggestions for sources of attractive, office-friendly maternity attire, please let me know, as I am getting rather desperate. I've found a few things that look like possibilities on eBay, but until they get here, I can't really be sure.

12 comments:

VA Blondie said...

I wish I could help, but I have to change into OR scrubs for my job. I pretty much wear whatever I want into work. Shorts and t-shirts has been my uniform.

Ebay can be a good source. Another source could be plus sizes. Sometimes you can find stuff there. Though sometimes they are just as bad as the maternity clothes.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i was going to say target and old navy, but i took the liberty of peaking at target's maternity clothes and i am not impressed. old navy has some decent looking stuff and it's pretty inexpensive, which is an important factor for me since i am not 100% thrilled with the idea of spending money on clothes that i will only be able to wear for a few months.
iclw

Jamie said...

Fortunantly, I don't have to dress up for work so I can't offer any suggestions.

I can, however, agree whole heartedly on the lack of 'regular clothes' maternity style. If I may add an addendum to your letter, I would also like them to manufacture tops in a fabric that feels sturdy enough to survive several washings for less than $29.95 each.

stillhopeful said...

I'm having a hard time finding business suits, too. So far, my favorite for work clothes is JC Penny's (did find one suit, and several normal blouses) and Motherhood (not suit jackets, but good slacks fairly inexpensive). I have also had luck with Pea in the Pod - lookig online at their clearance, some incredible deals for clothes that were way too expensive to begin with (ex: cable knit sweater, orig 250, now 21.99). I have also made some real good purchases at a local consignment shop, and have about 5 ebay packages on the way... Good luck!

The Steadfast Warrior said...

I personally like wearing colour and prints on a regular basis but I am just that kind of person. But I do work in a corporate office so I have finely honed my wardrobe to be young, fresh and professional.

Pregnancy made this difficult becuase there are so many uncomfortable super low waistbands these days even in maternity wear. They just don't work on my curvier body.

I hear you on the polyester. It's fine when there's air conditioning but it's been 30 degrees lately and I'm in the third trimester! Yikes! It could be a long summer.

I second Jamie's comments about pricing!

Wish I had some suggestions but I've yet to find a store that gets it right for a lot of different people. ICLW

Bluebird said...

OMG, AMEN sister!

I was told Pea in a Pod would be a good place to try, although I never made it there. I bought a few business casual slacks and dresses from gap, but didn't do much more shopping after that.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from ICLW...

I keep lamenting that I have too much black in my maternity wardrobe, and keep trying to add more color! Most days I don't leave the house, but when I do, I look quite stunning if I do say so myself.

I have not set foot in a retail maternity store, and refuse to.

Aside from a few hand-me-downs, I've gotten everything at a maternity consignment store, which has been fantastic (esp. for everyday pieces), or online (Isabella Oliver is pricey but so worth it -- truly fabulous -- and Maggie Maternity).

My stretchy knee-length black skirt from Maggie is great, part of a 4-piece set I got (pants, long-sleeve top, and tank top, but there are other combos there or you can get the skirt alone).

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I don't really have any suggestions, but I agree whole heartedly! Try adding being a plus sized woman looking for maternity clothes (I was looking in the past). Very frustrating!

Jessica White said...

Maternity clothes suck...and they're scratchy. I've been wearing $10 yoga capris from fashion bug with t-shirts...they fit and hopefully they continue to fit...it's terrible!

sadie607 said...

haha I had the same reaction to shopping for maternity clothes I thought they were all hideous. Turns out it didn't matter that much for me since the last months of my pregnancy I wore a hospital gown, so I'm no help in where to look. Good luck I hope you had better luck than I did.

Katie said...

Sign a K on the bottom of that too!!!! I don't wear business stuff to work, but I hate all that frilly maternity crap. Give me jeans and a tshirt that don't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks!
ICLW

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy ICLW!

I got a lot of great things at J.C. Penny and they weren't polyester! They were cotton and very cute! I have heard a lot about Pea in a Pod, as well. I've never bought anything from there, but a neighbor gal gave me a bunch of stuff of hers from there. That's about all I've got.

Good luck on your hunt!
*HUGS*