Saturday, January 12, 2013

It Doesn't Even Make Sense

I have fallen deeply, madly, irrationally in love with a little cabin in the woods that has no running water. It sits on a wild pond, with 50 feet of waterfront shorline and its very own sandy beach. Did you read the first part? NO RUNNING WATER. It has no bathroom. No toilet. No shower. No toilet. And yet, I want to buy it.

It all started out innocently enough. We have a month off in June/July, before we move to South America for my new job. When I made the arrangements to take the month off, many months ago, it seemed like a good idea. After all, who wouldn't like an extra month of vacation time? But after having already spent weeks staying with family during the month we had off last fall, we discovered that our little family has grown to a size, and is at an age, that we are perhaps not the best of houseguests. It would be one thing if some of the people in our lives were not so set in their ways. But they are who we are, and we, em, DISTURB them.

So anywho, I was looking for a house to rent for the month we have off, because we dont yet have a place to stay. I was looking for a place near where our friends and family live, so that we could be near them, but not with them. And then I took a detour.

A friend of mine, faced with this same dilemma, recently bought a summer place on a lake. That sounded like a good idea, but lake properties are crazy expensive in New England, so I just did a quick search to see if there was something inexpensive in an area where we have friends and family. It turned out that there wasn't anything at all, but one thing led to another, and I found this amazing little cottage for sale. Did I mention that it's a two HOUR from all of our friends and family? The program I was using, when faced with the dilemma of finding an inexpensive property within 20 miles of my mother-in-law's house must have decided to default to just inexpensive properties.

So, this cottage makes NO sense at all. There's no running water. There's no indoor plumbing. It's far from our friends and family. And yet it's SO perfect. SO perfect. I am in love. I showed it to T, and he loves it, too, and wants to buy it, even though it is just totally irrational. I emailed the realtor for more information. It's highly unlikely that we'll do anything, but it's sure fun to dream. PS Canuary is going incredibly badly. We have had one illness after another, and nighttime has been particularly bad. I'm not getting any sleep, so eeking out time for myself to read, etc., isn't going well. Maybe next week?!

2 comments:

Michele said...

You never know.... septic tanks can be built, plumbing can be added. Perfect is perfect! :)

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Sometimes irrational choices become the best choices :-)