Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Today's Random Musings

As I am sitting here trying to eat my dinner, my cat just threw up all over the place. . .four times in a row. Guess how excited I'm not to clean that up? So gross.

I had my first doctor's appointment scheduled for this morning, but right as I was leaving the house, they called to cancel. I guess I'd rather get canceled on than have some virus passed on to me (she was sick), but I was still disappointed. Luckily, they were able to reschedule me for Thursday morning. I am anxious to talk to them about the genetic testing. I am anxious to get it over with. I feel like no matter how well things are going (knock wood), I can't really believe in this pregnancy until we are through with the testing.

The more I think about the testing, the more I think maybe I'm being a little unreasonable about feeling like I NEED to do CVS or amnio. It seems like no one does them any more, unless they are found to be high risk after the screening tests. I was thinking that a risk of 1 in 5000 still feels like too much of a risk. And then I read something this week (damn pregnancy books!) that said the risk of death from a c-section is 1 in 5000. I can't exactly avoid a c-section if I need one, at the end of the day (although of course I'll be doing everything in my power to avoid one, since it scares the shit out of me). And if I can live with that kind of risk, is a similar number for genetic diseases really any different? Of course, I have no idea what our numbers will look like. Which is why I'm anxious to get this next appointment over with.

I just got my water test results back from the guy who had them (I had given him my only copies). As I thought, he was completely misreading the numbers. My level is not quite twice the "acceptable" limit, but less than half what the limit was until 2001. I hadn't remembered, but the paperwork with the test results (which are from a state lab) also say that if we're not drinking the water or using it in soups, pasta, etc., then our risks from the arsenic are minimal. Since I haven't been doing any of those things, except for maybe once, I think we should be in good shape. Although, I still want to put a system in place to get rid of the arsenic.

Oh my, it's way past my bedtime. I can't believe I'm still awake.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I, personally, think it shouldn't matter how someone feels about what Dr. Tiller did, killing him was and is wrong. Not OK at all!

Discrimination is discrimination, in my book. It isn't OK to not like someone for how they look. Just because we're "skinny" doesn't mean our lives are any better. It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I can totally relate to your nervousness about an amnio. I wanted to get one with both my son and my daughter. We ended up not going that route because the ultrasounds made us feel better. All you can do is get all the information you can and make an informed decision. Make sure you let your doctors know what you're thinking and wanting. Not like you won't, of course, just giving you some unsolicited advice ;o)

Thanks again for your comment, I really appreciate it.
*HUGS*

VA Blondie said...

You will likely get more info on the genetic testing at your appointment. I also want to avoid amnio or CVS, if possible. I think I may go with the quad screen. From what I can tell, that is one of the more accurate screening tests. And it is just a blood test and an ultrasound. (I think that is right.)

I also want to avoid a c-section, if possible. I do not mind being induced, as long as I can deliver vaginally. I think it should be less of a problem because I only have one.

Glad your water tests came back better! Hope you got some rest!