Thursday, February 9, 2012

35 Week appointment

I am technically 36 weeks on Saturday, but on Tuesday I had my 35 week appointment. The great news is that she's head down and in the right position! I was so relieved to hear that. Everything else was normal. I opted to do the Strep B screen (it's optional here), and should have results in a few days.

We talked a lot at this appointment about labor and delivery, and I was a bit surprised at just how liberal my doctor is. Since I want a natural delivery, she will essentially allow me to labor at home for most of the time, assuming that nothing raises any red flags. Because I only live a couple of miles from the hospital (albeit in city traffic), if all goes well, she's let me go as long as to the point where I'm three minutes or so between contractions. She said she'll talk to me periodically during the time I'm at home to assess me over the phone. However, she also said that if I'm at all uncomfortable laboring at home, and want to be in the hospital, I can do that, too. We'll see. I have to take a cab to the hospital, and contractions in the car seem so unpleasant to me, especially with all of the speed bumps in the neighborhoods between here and the hospital. I think that's my biggest hangup about laboring at home.

I've been having a ton of (painless) contractions today. I've sort of ignored them for most of the day, but I've been having them for the last two hours sort of regularly. I just timed them for the last hour, and they are not regular at all--some are 10 minutes apart, some are six, etc. I'm not overly worried yet, but it is a little weird. I've tried drinking water and laying down, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Hopefully they will go away soon.

I got up early this morning to catch an early train out of town for work. I am exhausted now. It's going to be an early night for me! Miss M seems to have enough energy for both of us, though. Thankfully daddy is here to pick up the slack.

No comments: