Monday, April 13, 2015

#MicroblogMonday: Anxiety

I know that I am stressed out, because it's 12:35 am here, and I am wide awake, yet exhausted.  I can't get my mind to shut off.  I haven't felt this way in years.  In my old job, I was constantly so stressed out that I had what I called "middle of the night insomnia":  if awakened by anything, I couldn't fall back asleep.  After I left the job, I started sleeping, and I realized the problem was external.

So, hello my old friend, anxiety.  I know exactly why I am awake.  I have three projects at work that are pressing down on me, squeezing the air out of the room.  I just need to finish them.  I need to stop letting the great be the enemy of the good.  So I can sleep again, if nothing else.

How do you calm down and sleep when your mind won't stop?

3 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I make Josh rub my back. Sometimes I get up and read or write. The only thing I don't do it get on a screen or watch anything -- that just gets me more wound up.

Mali said...

I write lists before I go to bed. Or I think of something else that is mundane but makes me concentrate - and sometimes that helps me fall asleep. I have been known to go to sleep reciting Spanish verbs!

I hope you got to sleep eventually.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I'm with Lolli that I know not to turn on a screen (not that I always heed that).

And I'm with Mali that sometimes writing down what I'm anxious about gets it out of my head.

Also, I breathe and count. In 8, out 8.

I'm not always successful.

I hope things go well with your projects.