Saturday, April 4, 2015

My Mind Was Playing Tricks on Me

After I wrote my last post, I went back through my last posts about potty training Miss M.  I'm not sure why, but in my memory, Miss M never had pooping accidents when she was potty training, and as far as I was concerned, she potty trained at about 3 years 3 months.  It's a good thing I blog, because as SB would say "That's not truuu-uuue!"  Miss M was three and a half (holy god, what was I thinking?!), and she had lots of accidents--it's just that we were at the beach then, so it was not a big deal.  One of my own lines really spoke to me, though. . .I wrote that Miss M needed to be able to have a lot of accidents to learn to use the potty, and I had not given her the space to do that.

I had forgotten that part.

And I was doing it again with SB. . .expecting that she would learn to use the bathroom without having accidents.  Which is completely and totally nuts.  Thank god I listened to myself.  :)

So for the last few days, SB has been in underwear, and practicing.  It's rainy season again, so it's lousy out, anyway.  I had four days off from work.  We've had nothing but inside time on our hands.  She had a ton of pee accidents at first, and one more poop accident, and then. . .she seemed to get it.  We went to the mall yesterday for about 4 hours (indoor playspace, dinner, then ice cream), in underwear, with no accidents.  She's used the potty every time today without accidents.  I'm sure there are more accidents in our future, but we are getting there.

In other news, we are going back to the U.S. for a week at the end of April.  Miss M will do the interview she needs to do for school, and assuming that all goes well, we'll enroll the kids in school.  I've mostly decided that we are going to register at the school that where both have been accepted, and be done with it.  One, I've decided I am not going to worry about the racial composition of the school.  They are too young, and unless and until it becomes an issue, I just don't think it's worthy of worry.  Two, I think the school is really solid.  That's the feedback I have gotten so far.  As long as the commute isn't completely nuts (I think it will be 20 minutes in the car or 35 on public transportation, and another 20-30 to work, which isn't great but isn't horrible), and the facilities and teachers seem solid, this option makes the most sense.  We have too many other things up in the air with the move, and I can't also be planning around possibilities.  That said, I may feel differently if the phone rings and it's our top, top choice.  But I'm going to move forward like the phone is not going to ring, and put it out of my mind.

We're going to stay at the house we've rented, which will be the first time we'll see it.  We rented it sight unseen, so it will be our first chance to see what needs to be cleaned/fixed/painted, and we will be able to start to plan for the rest of the things that need to be done in connection with our move in, including sorting out furniture, etc.

We're also going to try to go and visit my mom for a few days while we are back, so it's going to be an action-packed weekend.  She hasn't seen the kids in almost a year, so it will be nice to visit with her.  It's about a three hour drive or so from the city we're moving to, so it definitely adds to our chaos, but since we will not yet be settled in the house, it just makes more sense.  Plus I found an unbelievably inexpensive rental car.

And then we will head back here for a few weeks, and then we'll be heading back to the U.S. at the end of May.  The next few months are going to be a whirlwind.

T also interviewed for a really great job yesterday via phone.  Fingers, toes, and everything else crossed that he gets it.  It is EXACTLY what he wants to do, so he is really excited about it.  After staying home for 4 years, and then taking a job outside his field just to get out of the house, it would be so fantastic if he got a job that he loved in his field.  I am praying it works out.  


No comments: