Sunday, May 17, 2009

Where I'm At

Things still seem okay, although that obviously means nothing. My boobs are really sore, and I've been needing plenty of sleep, although I'm not terribly exhausted as long as I get at least 8 hours a night (although last night, I went to bed at 8 and slept until 7 this morning).

Of course, this still doesn't seem real, and I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. For whatever reason, it occurred to me today to get out my paperwork from my first pregnancy to see when things started going wrong. This was probably not such a good idea, but I am full of bad ideas. It turns out that I started spotting with that pregnancy at 24 DPO. Naturally, I am at 23 DPO today. I wish I could've had that bright idea a week or so from now, when I would've maybe gotten a sigh of relief out of it. I am also having sort of little stabby pains down very low in my abdomen. Sigh. The next few days are going to be long ones. Why must I torture myself like this?

I'm still on the progesterone, although I have to say, I really hate the contraption it comes in. I don't mind using the medicine itself. I don't even mind the oily pantiliners that much. But I HATE having to retrieve the UFO from the refrigerator and then having to wrestle with it to get the damn medicine out. I have had the misfortune of having to use suppositories before, and they came in nice little individually wrapped bullets that you simply opened and used. But this progresterone. . .no such convenience. The individual doses were apparently poured into one giant plastic disk that looks sort of like a home smoke alarm, and the flying saucer come with a little plastic tool that you use to pop the individual doses out. There are about 30 doses or so in each flying saucer. There is also a little maroon cap that pops out with the progesterone when you finally manage to get the thing open and pop out the dose. I cannot believe that this is an economical way to package the progesterone, given how much plastic is involved. It is definitely NOT convenient. We went away for the weekend, and I couldn't bring the thing with me--it wasn't exactly something that would be overlooked in my MIL's refrigerator! (I popped a few out and took them along in a ziploc--something I'd happily do with rest, if I weren't so afraid this made them unsanitary.) Somewhere, there is some evil mad scientist who decided that at risk pregnant women with unfortunate histories haven't suffered quite enough.

So, ultrasound on Thursday morning. I'll be holding my breath until then.


IVF 40+ said...

sounds rough. I would drink lots of water and tell my DH to spoil me rotten.

remember, this is not then, then is not now.

VA Blondie said...

Hang in there! Good luck at your ultrasound.

Heather said...

Good luck with the ultrasound!!!

~Jess said...

Hang in there! I can't even imagine getting the prog. the way you are. I had just a tablet that I was prescribed. I guess they all do it differently.

I'm praying that your u/s goes perfectly!

JamieD said...

I remember the sharp, stabby pains in the beginning. Just enough to make me think doom, because I didn't think there was any way I was already experiencing the ligament stretching you hear about. Turned out to be nothing. Hope this gives you a little relief!

Looking forward to good news on Thursday!