Sunday, November 23, 2008

The "Baby or Bust" Part

I just realized that I'm going to have to change the title of my blog soon, because "Borneo" will be behind us. Hmmm. If you have a suggestion, let me know.

In terms of where we are on the baby front, I've been scouring the internet for the effects of the vaccines, the malaria med's, and the various insecticides we'll be using while abroad. Ever wondered what the half life of DEET was? No??? Color me neurotic.

To briefly summarize, the vaccination form I signed said I shouldn't get pregnant for 30 days after receiving the vaccines. I don't want to get pregnant while taking the malaria med's, and I have to take them for 4 weeks after returning. Those seem to pose the biggest obstacles. That basically puts us into February before we will be trying again. Maybe I shoulda thought this vacation through a little better. If only I was normal, and had planned a trip to Hawaii like Terrific T. wanted. No, I don't really wish that. I'm excited to go. I've wanted to do this trip for so long, it hardly feels real that's it's planned. Now, if people would only stop telling me I'm going to die down there. It's weighing on me somewhat, I have to tell you.

But let's not linger over thoughts of death. . .Back to TTC, and the benefits of waiting a couple more months. I still need to gain some weight, and I want to feel healthy before we try again, so the time will be good for us. Oddly enough, I seem to be O-ing like a normal person. The monitor said "low" today when I tested, but it's been asking for test sticks for days and I didn't have any. I'm pretty sure that I'm o-ing--CM and O pain present. And it's CD14! Last month was a 28 day cycle, and I think I O'd around day 14. Hopefully, I'll continue on this pattern.

I just realized that we will be fast approaching the two year mark, by the time we get going again. I was sure I was wrong, when it first hit me, but it's true. Never in a million years did I think it would go down like this, when we started on this process. If we manage to get pregnant this spring, I will be well past the cut-off for AMA by the time we deliver. How did I get here, again?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. NO ideas on a new blog name. Maybe Expedition Offspring?

2. I would be madly researching all the same things you are. Which malaria meds are you using, just out of curiosity?

3. I don't think you're going to die down there. It may not be MY personal choice for a vacation what with the typhoid, the malaria, the tetanus, etc; but I think you'll be just fine. Worst case scenario equals a stomach bug and a sun burn. Will you have internet at any point so you can let us know how the voyage goes?

4. Yay for Oing on CD14!

5. Dude. Pshaw I say, to the cutoff for AMA. Plenty of women have had healthy babies after that birthday.

Jamie said...

This trip will be the trip of the lifetime! Well worth the vaccinations and mandatory TTC break.

As you get rested and feel healthier, I hope your cycles get better and better!

Io said...

You are not going to die. You are going to gain some healthy weight, relax your body, mind and spirit, and have a totally kick ass adventure that nobody else will be able to trump with their Hawaiian vacations.