Monday, April 27, 2009

Random Thoughts

First, the important news: Mel's book came today, and I am really excited to read it. It is giant, too. I thought it was going to be a skinny book, but it's a big fat one. I can't wait to curl up with it tonight before bed. I am looking forward to reading it not only for the information that I hoping to learn from it, but also to support one of our own. Mel has done an amazing thing for the IF community with her websites, and created this amazing web of support by weaving us all together. I encourage anyone who hasn't bought a copy yet to purchase a copy regardless of whether they are interested in reading it, or not--if you don't want it for yourself, why not buy a copy and donate it to your local library? You'll be rewarding Mel for everything she's done for all of us, providing vital education to women in your own communities who may be looking for answers, and extending our network a little further to women in your own community who may not realize this amazing support network is out here.

***

Saturday night, I was sitting in a bar watching the Sox game (take THAT, Yankees!) and having dinner. The dining room of this particular establishment is through the bar, and after a while a woman in her early 40's came in pushing a double stroller. I recognized her in an instant: her husband was in his mid-to-late 50's; she was a little too old to have found a need for a double stroller without having received a little help herself. The kids in the stroller were clearly twins, maybe six months old, definitely not identical. I could see her throughout dinner, and glanced at her from time to time. She looked enthralled and overjoyed with her babies. It was a sight to see. It gave me hope.

***

Yesterday, I was walking around one of those discount warehouse clubs that sell bulk items. As I walked past the diaper aisle, it made me really happy. I might need those soon.

***

I must be a freakin' idiot. Since the doctor mentioned that he thinks we'll need injectibles, I have been mostly focused on the fact I might have to give myself shots. It finally dawned on me that maybe I should look up the risk of multiples, my other big concern/worry/ obsession. Um, multiples occur up to 40% of the time with injectibles. Of the women who have multiples, 75% have only twins, but 25% have triplets or more!!! Let's do the math on that one: if 100 women get pregnant on injectibles, 40 of them will have multiples. 30 of those 40 women will have only twins. 10 of those women--10 out of 100--will have triplets or MORE. (Unless I am completely challenged when it comes to basic math problems, which I'm hoping is the case). I am a moron for not realizing these stat's sooner. They scare the crap out of me.

***

I'm currently on CD20, and should've ovulated somewhere around CD16-CD17. But, my temp's have not spiked. It's been warm here and we've slept with the windows open, but I would think that would make my temp's higher. . .not make them stay the same. I'm confused. I had all sorts of ovary pain around CD16-CD17. No idea what's going on.

***

I have to make T. schedule the SA tomorrow. I know he's going to drag his feet, because of the sheer embarassment of having to produce the sample at the clinic.

2 comments:

S said...

My husband hates producing his sample at the clinic, too, but realized on his own that he had to somehow get used to "doing his part" in that environment once we started treatment.

I think it's safe to say most guys hate it. Though it's nothing compared to what we go through, how embarrassing for them.

VA Blondie said...

Hubby really prefers providing his sample at home, but the IVF center we use actually has some really nice facilities for sample production. I hope your clinic is similar. My Hubby always brought his own reading material. That apparently is perfectly acceptable. I think the first one is the worst.