Thursday, April 16, 2009

Something New To Be Clomissy About

Yesterday morning, we had a new Ken.more washing machines delivered from Sea.rs. The technician could not get it to work after he set it up. It was broken, right out of the box. He put T. on the phone with a repair tech, but the repair tech was left scratching his head, too. The tech promised Sea.rs would replace the machine, because--duh--it didn't work upon delivery. As a rule, things are supposed to work out of the box. Their own person couldn't make it work. It was done broke. This seems like a no-brainer, right?

When I got home, I called Sea.rs again. . .more than a half dozen times. After repeatedly being told they would replace the machine, being misdirected, disconnected, and sent into automated phone hell, I finally got on the phone with the person who was supposed to arrange for the delivery of my new machine. He, of course, promptly refused, argued with me that they should attempt to fix it rather than replace it, and then insisted I speak with his store manager the next day (today). I don't think he liked it very much when I said "pursuant to state law xx, section yy, I have a right to reject the defective item and demand replacement for reimbursement of my purchase price. I'm invoking the provisions of the law. I do not think it's reasonable to repair a brand new $850 washing machine," blah, blah, blah. You get the idea. I was, shall we say, assertive. I was polite, but I was angry after an hour's worth of telephone calls.

So, after he refused to help me, I spent another hour drafting Sea.rs hatemail that cites my state's consumer protection statute and tracking down corporate officer contact information. It's no wonder America is in the toilet; they can't even politely remedy a fairly simple, straightforward problem (which, by the way, is mandated by STATE LAW). Sea.rs had better replace the machine pronto, or I'm going to start wreaking legal havoc. This was really not the right week to mess with me.

1 comment:

Io said...

OK, that sounds AWFUL and dealing with customer service drives me batty. But.
Since it's not me, I had to laugh at the thought of these people getting on the wrong end of your clomissy stick. I *almost* feel sorry for them.